Race Date: Sunday, July 14, 2013
Distance: 2 MILE RUN, 26 MILE BIKE, 4 MILE RUN
Description: This event is for the multisport athlete who wishes to focus on cycling and running. This race is also for the athlete who wants to try something new and challenging. This event has a 7:00 AM start, staged out of Western Regional Park. The one lap, two mile, run transitions into a two lap, 26 mile rolling bike course on the rural roads of western Howard County. The final two lap, four mile, course is the same as the first run segment in that it is a combination of paved road and walking paths. The duathlon starts and finishes inside Western Regional Park.
Athletes may participate as single competitors or on a relay team.
Western Regional Park is located in western Howard County, Maryland at the intersection of route 97 and Carrs Mill Road. The park is about 15 minutes from Columbia, MD and is located just off of the junction of MD97 and Interstate 70.
Address: 14800 Carrs Mill Road Woodbine, MD 21723
See directions for detailed directions to park.
Reasons to do the Olympic Duathlon:
- If your thinking about getting started in multisport racing but don't want to train in three sports.
- If you're serious about doing a multisport event that is logistically simpler than a triathlon.
- If you're weak in, or not thrilled with, swimming.
- If you're most comfortable on the bike and perfectly happy to do the bulk of training on it.
- If you're an experienced triathlete and want to push yourself to the limit in a cycle/run event.
- If you want to be a MULIT-SPORT DUATHLETE!
What participants can expect:
- A moderate to challenging course with ample water stops, medical/course support and excitement
- A athlete participation shirt (performance type)
- A finisher’s medal upon completing the course
- Awards for Elite & Age Group winners (top 3 male & female in all divisions)
- Free Parking on race day located less than 0.5 miles from race start
- Food, Beverage and music to celebrate the completion of the race
Participants will enjoy post race food, drink & music. Family & friends are welcome in the post race area.
Awards will be given to participants who earn 1st – 3rd place (male & female) in each division.
- Age Groups: 14-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75+
- All Male Relay
- All Female Relay
- Coed Relay
*Elite participants are not eligable for age group awards. Age group divison not eligable for Elite awards.
Athlete Check-In & Packet Pickup:
Athlete check-in and packet pickup will take place on:
- Friday, July 12 from 4:00 PM – 6:30 PM @ race venue
- Saturday, July 13 from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM @ race venue
- Sunday, July 14 from 5:00 AM – 6:30 AM @ race venue
*Race day packet pick up should be considered for out of town athletes only. Local athletes are expected to pick up their race packet on Friday or Saturday.
* BIKE RACKING WILL BE ON RACE DAY ONLY.
All registered entrants, including all relay team members, MUST attend packet pickup in person. Per USAT rules, each participant MUST pick up his/her own packet. If you do not check in during the designated check-in times in person, you will not be able to participate in the event.
Pre-Race Course Talk:
The pre-race coures talk will be held at Western Regional Park- (Inclement Weather - Gary Arthur Community Center, 2400 Rte. 97,
Cooksville, MD 21723)
- Friday, July 12, 6:00 PM
- Saturday, July 13, 12:00 PM & 3:00 PM
Please attend one of the above scheduled Pre-Race Course Talks which will provide important information about the race, and includes a question and answer segment. If you are a first timer– attending a pre-race course talk is STRONGLY recommended! In addition, professional triathlete, Suzy Serpico will be onsite to provide race day suggestions as well as discuss how to set up your transition area.
About Rip It Events, LLC
Rip It Events, LLC was founded in 2010 and has successful event planning experience in the entertainment, athletic, and non-profit sectors. Rip It Events is owned by Danny and Suzy Serpico and produces:
- Maryland Olympic Duathlon
- Maryland Women's Sprint Duathlon
- Columbia Turkey Chase 10K
Comments or questions? Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.